Thursday, January 15, 2009

Getting Old

Something has been happening with me and I finally put my finger on it - I am in a mid life crisis. For those of you who know me and start to laugh - I'm serious this time! Sometime in the next 10 days I will turn 37. hmm. 37! What kind of age is that? You are neither celebrating 40 (which is now the new 20) or moaning about turning 30 (which is now a very hip age to be)- you are there in the middle - limbo- just falling apart and going grey.

Ever since I turned 30, my body has slowly been falling apart. At age 31 you start to feel your joints, at age 32 your knees, 33 started back problems, at 34 I fell in love so the problems seem to not bother me. At age 35 with a new born baby- along with extreme sleep deprivation, my body started to rebel. And now, at 37 it's already telling me- Hasta la vista Baby - nice knowing you.

There are so many things I would like to accomplish. I feel most unaccomplished - I mean, at age 37 Napolean was well on his way to being King of France. Having said that, I do not wish to be King (or Queen, Princess or Royal Consort) of France or any other country. But it does keep things in perspective about how much you can accomplish by age 37. But on the other hand, I have accomplished a lot more than I thought I would have - I mean, I actually managed to find a nice guy and convinced him to marry a ranting-political activist-plus part time artist-plus part time chef-plus compulsive planner (a feat I often find unbelievable at times), and I am even more surprised that I have a child who at age 2 is still pretty normal given that I had no exposure or interest in actually taking care of children before mine was born.

But the sands of time are showing. I have wrinkles on my face, my hair is grey and added to my list of ailments is tendinitis. The one thing I wish I had and really miss are spectacles. I had them from the time I was 16 and all of a sudden when I was 35 and pregnant they said I don't need them anymore. While it was liberating at first, soon I started to miss them, and now I am downright lonely without those wonderful things that rest on your nose and make you look ever so sexy.

I guess I could always fix my hair and get rid of my ponytail, buy a pair of fake glasses and invest in some anti-wrinkle cream (Emy had one which seems to be working well). But then I would be all fake - which is exactly what women suffering from a mid life crisis become!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Chai...
Happy almost birthday-Mine's coming up Feb. 5th. Have they found out what that lump was that you discovered? I hope you're alright. 37 is definitely not old. I'll be 32...sometimes I still feel like a kid. I teach preschool, so maybe it's cause I get to play all day. Who knows?

Have a good weekend...

Y.

ChaiTime said...

Hi Yonit
32 is Yonge - enjoy it - your body is mechanically good :-)

Lump is ok - turned out to be a node so everyone is happy.

Am going to get my hair highlights - it's time for the grey to go!!

Yonit said...

Chai...
Glad the lump was nothing...Whew! And about my body mechanically being good...eh...not so much. I hurt my knee today at work (sitting in a teeny tiny chair with my kids and then standing up.) So I'm not walking real well at the moment.
And hey-I'm going to get my hair highlighted tomorrow! I want to cut it too, but I always end up regrettin it after.
So..living in Canada-do you speak French? I'm asking 'cause I majored in it.
Anyhow, have a great weekend!
Y.
PS-is there an email address I can write to you at? Probably easier than blogging.

ChaiTime said...

Yonit
hasinalookman@gmail.com

Tell me how your highlights go - the last time I had them done the lady turned my hair YELLOW - I mean like BRIGHT YELLOW so I am a bit nervous.

I'm laughing about your knees - it's the beginning of the end Yonit - enjoy your body now before all the rest of the parts get mechanical failiures!
Hasina

MIchael said...

Do sports!

It helps to get younger and feel better!