Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Purple Lace

After waiting for a long time, I finally plunged and did it - I changed the color of our bedroom.

It used to be a wonderful Benjamin Moore color called "Bridal Pink" or "Blushing Bride" which suited my mood just fine when my husband was courting me and through the period of our initial marriage. But now, with Baby M almost 1 year old, it was time for a change. I was no longer in the pink phase of my life. I wanted more color. Something more exotic. Something different yet calming.

So off I went to my local Benjamin Moore store (I'm really not sure if they have better colors that the other paint companies but they are the only guys who have paint samples to try out) and got a few colors to try out.

There was a lovely blue shade which caught my eye instantly. It was what I was looking for. I picked up the color card and read the name - "Tear drop blue" - now - I think that is a horrible name! Tear drops to me signify sadness and grief - why would I want that painted all over my bedroom? It was almost like a teenager seeing a boy from far and falling in love only to find out he was totally wrong 10 seconds after they actually met. There was disappointment - but life had to go on.

So I continued looking through the color cards.
I eventually picked two:
a) Bahama Blue - a kind of bright aqueous blue
b) Purple Lace - a kind of lavender with blue tones

I don't normally like purple so I wasn't so sure about it - but I did want a change. However, ever since my art teacher told me that Purple was the color for death in Poland, I have developed a dislike of the color. I wish people would not tell me these things!

First I put the blue on the wall - I liked it - it was sophisticated yet bright, lively, young. I liked it.
Then I tried on Purple Lace - it was different. Yet somehow, it felt closer to the heart. I painted a bit more on the wall - it was like a long lost friend that comes back - familiar and at the same time changed. I called out to the husband, one look and he said "the purple one - i like it" .

The painter came and painted our room (we are not known for having any handy skills between us), I kept peeking in and every time I did it looked more and more like home.

It's a color that matches our moods and where we are in life today. It's comforting, calming, strong, different - it's a pretty confident color. Our first night in the room we all (Baby M has still not moved out!) slept very well. It's like the old friend who comes home and you just continue where you left off.

No comments: