Tuesday, March 11, 2008

$4000/hr for what?

I've had a very busy day with Baby M who seems to have some kind of rash even though my husband thinks she's just scratching herself, cleaning my office (again!) and sorting through all the stuff in our storage (again!). It wasn't until 9.30pm that I was able to catch up on the news and Mr. Spitzer's rendezvous with the prostitutes was flashing across the screen. Now, I had no idea who he was and why this was so relevant, but I figured it had something to do with the elections.

The part of the story that caught my attention was the BBC news reporter saying that he allegedly paid $4000 to the prostitute. I was quite impressed at that number, I mean, I have no clue what the going rate for these kind of services are but $4000 did seem like a lot. It's only after logging on to BBC News website, that I realised this was the price PER HOUR!!

BLOODY HELL! What in the world does a prostitute do for you for $4000 per hour!!! ??? I didn't even know prostitutes could cost that much. (Tells you how much I know about what goes on in this world!) But I simply cannot understand what a man can expect from one woman that requires him to pay $4000 per hour and that he couldn't get from another of the same profession for say, $400 /hr.

Being Canadian, where we watch a large part of our salary being "shared" by the govt, I couldn't help but wonder why the govt is so silly as to not legalize prostitution. I mean, forget about the moral stand of it all, (I no longer think prostitutes are victimized when they charge this kind of money and shag Governors) - I'm talking pure economics.

Assuming the lady in question works 4 hours a day at a rate of $4000/hr = $16,000/day. Now, I'm sure she would be working out of a corporation and of course she has to pay her manager, pay for herself to look good etc. Let's assume that is $2000/hr. It still gives you a tax bill of about $3600/day at a conservative estimate. Assume she works about 200 days a year , our Treasury could be getting potentially $720,000 a year from only this lovely lady!!!

I really don't understand why we are not taxing this profession. It's completely mad! They earn more than doctors, project managers, IT consultants and little tea merchants - and yet, they get away scott free because the moral police says what they do it wrong. But, isn't that all the more reason to tax them??

But more than anything, I'm really utterly curious to know what services Mr. Spitzer purchased for $4000/hr .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on that! Plus, apparently these girls were rated on a scale (like 3-diamonds, 7-diamonds). What makes a girl a 3-diamond or a 7-diamond? Is it skills acquired? Looks? Or are they like cars, where the value goes down the minute you drive it off the lot?