Friday, March 14, 2008

Packing, Packing and more packing

There was a time about 15 years ago when I would go to the train station in Geneva with a small backpack. I'd go get a sandwich and then go look at the departure board. Which ever destination caught my fancy - that's where I would head out for a few days. No pre-planning, no preparation, no guidebook, only a small backpack and a sandwich. How fondly I look back at those days today!

Here I am packing for our trip to India with my husband and Baby M - my living room looks like every closet and cupboard has been emptied on it. On top of it, my husband has bought an industrial size box of diapers and I have no idea how to pack it all in the suitcases. We are taking pretty much all of Baby M's clothes since she goes through her entire wardrobe in a week. My husband has decided that "when in India do as the Indians do" so he's told me to pack "4 T-shirts" - the plan is for him to wear the Indian Kurta Pyjamas and wander the streets of Mumbai living out his Arabian Nights dreams. I am truly looking forward to this. On my part, I was packing all my lovely Indian clothes until by friend Sweetie Pie (she owns a sweet business) told me that they are all outdated and I should buy trousers and wear them here. How truly disappointing! I have a closet full of wonderful clothes I enjoy and they are all not in vogue and I am told to wear trousers which I detest! Well, I was never a fashion slave so I'm not going to worry about it. If my husband can look like Gandhi on the streets of India, I can surely look like a fashion diva wearing the best of 1994!

On top of that we have bug spray against the mosquitoes, citronella for the baby, sun screen for Baby M and even more for my husband- a total of 4 bottles. I have no idea what they are going to do in this much sunscreen but I expect they will be lathering themselves in it. Then we have Imodium and Tums - I have still to figure out which one is for Diarrhea and which one is for constipation. Add to that all the Tempra and Diaper Rash creams.

To ensure Baby M's tummy stays ok, we have 2 large cans of formula and will be adding her oatmeal and rice shortly. Ever since we started Baby M on her first trip, I also carry some dish detergent and this has often been one of the most practical things in my bag.

And let me not forget the Toilet Paper - the last time when I was in India toilet paper was not everywhere - you had to wash your bum clean with water (seems far more hygienic to me), and my husband is so disturbed by the details of this practice that he is taking toilet paper with him. Of course we could buy some there, but this is someone who grumbled for a week because I bought 1ply instead of 2ply toilet paper. Rather than hearing about toilet paper when I set my eyes on the Taj Mahal, I'll let him pamper his bum!!

Purel! Purel! And hand wipes for the baby since I've been told people in India take offense when you tell a guest to wash their hands. I still haven't understood why it is offensive, but I'm taking enough wet wipes and Purel so I can keep Baby M clean and somewhat germ free.

Did I mention we have 2 (yes TWO) different guide books of India. I had marked places I wanted to see in one of them but Baby M was playing with it and I haven't been able to see it since and so now I am re-marking in the second one.

On top of that I had the brilliant (but in retrospect clearly dumb) idea of sewing large pouches to put different things in - I was up till 2 am doing it and only got through half of them. Of course, now that I have started the job, I feel compelled under extreme stress to complete it.

I also have to cancel my newspaper subscription, hold my post, clean out my refrigerator, and clean out the car since Emie has agreed to take us to the airport and my car looks just atrocious!


Man oh man! I am so ready to go on holiday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When in doubt, ALWAYS go with the 2-ply! Your husband is a smart man!