Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 18, 2008 - Brugge & Brussels

I woke up early in the am to see the exciting fish market (strange things excite me - fish is one of them!). Now, this one is housed in a very old square and all the counters are covered with marble. Very pretty. Full of anticipation, and wishing we had rented an appartment in Brugge so that I cook cook this bounty from the seas, I crossed the medivial market square and made a turn for the fish market. Over the bridge and then I saw it! What dissapointment! My wonderful busy fish market that I had envisaged had all but one (yes ONE) fishmonger! He stood there lonely in this lovely square selling the freshest white shrimp, sole and snapper I have seen. There was no doubt his produce was wonderful, but it certainly wasn't worth waking up early for.

After breakfast we headed to see the medivial courtyard of the Bell Tower - it's at places like this that I think most of Hunu and Alex - both of whom would have taken about a 100 photos and documented every tiny aspect of it. On my part, I took a video span of the place and a photo of Baby M to document her visit here.

We then headed down the little streets and had lunch at a tea room (there are 100s here). My crab sandwich was superb, my husband's cherry tart not quite up to the mark. It was now time to indulge in the very Belge tradition of fine chocolates and off we went to sample them. Superb! We tried one which was a Ganache of Chocolate with Lychee Tea - very interesting and different. Strolling down the narrow streets we eventually arrived at the "Beguinage: - the local convent and one of the top tourist attractions here. It was a very pldeasant spot - old buildings surronded by a little field full of daffodils in bloom. Very picturesque.

Baby M got a rattle with jingle bells on it as a souvenir of our time in Brugge. We've left the museums with the Flemish painters and the lace museum for whenever we return next to Brugge.

Arrived well in Brussels and checked in at the totally overpriced Sheraton Airport Hilton, but with a morning flight to catch you simply cannot beat the location. We realized that we could have saved EUR 45 by leaving our luggage here instead of the airport for 3 days (yes that's how much the lockers cost) - but no point pondering it too much. What's done is done.

Flying to Mumbai tomorrow am. Until then...

No comments: